As many of you are going to visit Stockholm at Christmas or around New Year I want to write about the schedule for the underground and bus network and what you can expect if you use public transport on those days.
Metro in Stockholm: Christmas and New Year
- Sunday Dec. 23: regular Sunday schedule.
- Christmas Eve Dec. 24 – julafton: from 6:00 am to 3:00 pm every 10 minutes. After that on green and red lines once every 15 minutes. On blue line from 3:00 to 7:00 pm every 15 minutes and later on every 30 minutes. No underground service at night.
- Christmas Dec. 25 – juldagen: regular Sunday schedule from 6:00 am. There will be non-stop underground service all night between Dec. 25 and Dec. 26.
- Wednesday Dec. 26 – annandag jul: regular Sunday schedule.
- Thursday & Friday Dec 27-28 – mellandagarna: regular workday schedule with trains every 10 minutes on all lines during daytime. In addition services on green and red line will be reinforced during the afternoon. There will be non-stop underground service on the night from Friday to Saturday.
- Saturday Dec. 29: regular Saturday schedule.
- Sunday Dec. 30: regular Saturday schedule with nightly operation.
- New Year’s Eve Dec. 31 – nyårsafton: regular Saturday schedule with nightly operation.
- New Year Jan. 1 – nyårsdagen: regular Sunday schedule.
- Wednesday to Friday Jan. 2-4 – mellandagarna: egular workday schedule with trains every 10 minutes on all lines during daytime. In addition services on green and red line will be reinforced during the afternoon.
- Twelfth Night Jan. 5 -trettonsdagafton: regular Saturday schedule.
- Twelfth Day Jan. 6 – trettonsdag: regular Saturday schedule.
Buses in Stockholm at Christmas and New Year
City buses are also affected on these dates. The night before Christmas Eve the buses circulate at night but with many exceptions. On Christmas Eve, the schedule changes from Saturday to Christmas time between 12:00 and 3:00 pm and in the afternoon. At night the buses run according to the night-before-workday schedule although with exceptions.
The night before New Year’s Eve the buses run on a night-before-Saturday schedule. On New Year’s Eve the schedule is that of a Saturday and on New Year’s Eve it is night-before-holiday.
As you can see if you are traveling to Stockholm on these dates of December you must take into account that sometimes there might be no service at all or you will have to wait a little longer for the metro or bus to arrive. As a general rule on Dec. 24 in the evening / night and Dec. 25 everything will be closed.
Remember that you can always check the status of the service and plan your trip ahead with SL’s travel planner.
If you are thinking about what to see or do in Stockholm in December or how to celebrate New Year’s Eve in the capital of Sweden, take a look at the linked articles.